Sunday, August 14, 2011

The middle for both sides

The initial impetus for this blog is the ongoing atheism/theism controversy. So you may wonder what could possibly distinguish this blog from the plethora already devoted to the debate. There are already blogs by every flavor of theist and atheist you could probably imagine. Well, I will tell you what this blog is not. It is not a platform for any specific ideology, and perhaps surprisingly, especially not agnosticism.

What I wish to advocate here are better strategies on both sides of this debate. Personally, I don't have anything to gain by either side dominating the other, but I do take some offense when facts are skewed to accommodate any ideology. Where science is misrepresented or religion is stereotyped, I think such tactics can only harm the cause of each. Both should strive to extricate themselves from the morass of merely "preaching to the choir".

Overall I think confrontation is not productive, but competition is. I'd like to see both atheists and theists work in ways that would pit them against each other over potential allies/converts throughout a larger percentage of the population. I'd like to see both subjected to a larger natural selection rather than isolated inbreeding.

Now, no doubt, proponents of each side will wish to paint me with the same brush as they do their opposition. That is to be expected of those who hold extreme views, but I do not intend to make any concerted effort to give "equal time" to both sides in an attempt to allay such. I will follow my interest in the strength or weakness of a particular argument. Most likely I will not try to rebut everything under the sun, as many just do not have the merit to warrant my interest.

I encourage comments and suggestions of blog posts, op-eds, news articles, and the like. I am interested in putting the most compelling arguments to the test, and perhaps building a list of those I find worthy of use in this debate.

No comments: